Setting up ODBC-Client without installing pcc.exe

Last post 12-12-2003 2:42 AM by Abramowski. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2003 4:24 AM

Setting up ODBC-Client without installing pcc.exe

I have an Serverengine 2000i with SP3. How can I install only an ODBC-Connection form an other client if I don't want to install all the pervasive stuff on like pcc.exe on the client.
    If I run ..\pvsw\clients\win\setup.exe I get so much files on my clients. I only want to have the "Pervasive ODBC Client interface" on my client and nothing else. Is this possible?
  • 12-04-2003 7:23 AM In reply to

Re: Setting up ODBC-Client without installing pcc.exe

Clemens,

You can install the software without the utilities and still have ODBC access. Microsoft provides an ODBC administrator, odbcad32.exe that is located in the system32 directory. You can manage Pervasive DSN connections with this tool.

Del Hager
    Pervasive Software
  • 12-04-2003 8:25 AM In reply to

Del,
    if I call odbcad32.exe I still have to have the ODBC-Driver "Pervasive ODBC Client interface" version 7.94.251.02 with the file W3ODBCCI.DLL registrated before I can establish an ODBC-Connection.

How can I registrate the "Pervasive ODBC Client interface" on my clients without installing the pcc.exe an all the other administration files?

quote:

Clemens,

You can install the software without the utilities and still have ODBC access. Microsoft provides an ODBC administrator, odbcad32.exe that is located in the system32 directory. You can manage Pervasive DSN connections with this tool.

Del Hager
    Pervasive Software

• 12-04-2003 8:25 AM In reply to

Del,
    if I call odbcad32.exe I still have to have the ODBC-Driver "Pervasive ODBC Client interface" version 7.94.251.02 with the file W3ODBCCI.DLL registrated before I can establish an ODBC-Connection.

How can I registrate the "Pervasive ODBC Client interface" on my clients without installing the pcc.exe an all the other administration files?

quote:

Clemens,

Del Hager
    Pervasive Software

• 12-04-2003 8:29 AM In reply to

Clemens,

Give me an email address where I can send you a zip file that has a batch file in it to register Pervasive the ODBC components.

Del Hager
    Pervasive Software
  • 12-08-2003 6:13 AM In reply to

Clemens,

Here is that code snippet that is written is VB script:

set oDTO = CreateObject("DTO.DtoSession.2") 'setting up objects

result = oDTO.Connect (wshnetwork.computername,wshnetwork.computername,"")

set oDSNs = CreateObject("DTO.DtoDSNs.2")
    set myDSN = CreateObject("DTO.DtoDSN.2")
    if not IsNull(oDB) then
    myDSN.Name = "DEMODATA"
    myDSN.Description = "DEMODATA DSN"
    myDSN.Dbname = "DEMODATA" 'ADDING DSN
    myDSN.Openmode = dtoNormalDSNOpenMode
    result = myDSNColl.Add(myDSN)
    logFileWrite.WriteLine "ADDING DSN: " + oDTO.Error(result) + " " + CStr(Date()) + " " + CStr(Time())
    end if
    Set myDB = oDTO.Databases 'set

result = myDB.Remove("DEMODATA",0) 'REMOVING DATABASE, don't delete dsn's
    logFileWrite.Writeline "REMOVING DB: " + oDTO.Error(result) + " " + CStr(Date()) + " " + CStr(Time())

set oDB = CreateObject("DTO.DtoDatabase.2")
    if not IsNull(oDB) then
    oDB.Name = "DEMODATA" 'ADDING DATABASE
    oDB.DdfPath = strInstallDir + "DEMODATA"
    oDB.DataPath = strInstallDir + "DEMODATA"
    oDB.Flags = 2
    result = myDB.Add (oDB)
    logFileWrite.Writeline "ADDING DB: " + oDTO.Error(result) + " " + CStr(Date()) + " " + CStr(Time())
    end if

set oDSNs2 = CreateObject("DTO.DtoDSNs.2")
    set myDSN2 = CreateObject("DTO.DtoDSN.2")

myDSN2.Name = "DefaultDB"
    myDSN2.Description = "DefaultDB DSN"

myDSN2.Dbname = "DefaultDB" 'ADDING DSN
    myDSN2.Openmode = dtoNormalDSNOpenMode

result = myDSNColl.Add(myDSN2)
    logFileWrite.WriteLine "ADDING DSN: " + oDTO.Error(result) + " " + CStr(Date()) + " " + CStr(Time())

Set myDB2 = oDTO.Databases 'set

Del Hager
    Pervasive Software
  • 12-09-2003 4:19 AM In reply to

Hi Del,
    I think now I know a bit more about my problem. I think the script you gave me does not solve my problem.

I simply have to run server\pvsw\clients\win\setup.exe and choose the "network client install option", how it is mentioned in the manual to minimise disk usage on the client.

But if I do this, I do not get the screen for the network install option. The same problem is mentioned from kevin farrell in this forum posted at the 07/16/2002.
    Can you give me a tip how to solve this problem?
  • 12-09-2003 4:19 AM In reply to

Hi Del,
    I think now I know a bit more about my problem. I think the script you gave me does not solve my problem.

I simply have to run server\pvsw\clients\win\setup.exe and choose the "network client install option", how it is mentioned in the manual to minimise disk usage on the client.

But if I do this, I do not get the screen for the network install option. The same problem is mentioned from kevin farrell in this forum posted at the 07/16/2002.
    Can you give me a tip how to solve this problem?
  • 12-09-2003 7:55 AM In reply to

Clemens,

The network option will show up if you connect to a server that is running the engine and run the setup using the UNC \\server\pvsw\clients\win\setup.exe .

Del Hager
    Pervasive Software
  • 12-09-2003 8:52 AM In reply to

Del,

this is what I did.
    The first screen is the "welcome screen", I press next.
    The second screen the "Setup type screen". Here I can choose only between "custom" and "typical".
    The third screen already shows the destination Folder. When I press next I get the whole Pervasive Client Installation with all available tool. But this is not what I want.

A few days before I have had the network install option. But now not any more.

It seems to be the same behaviour kevin farrell has made.

Clemens
  • 12-09-2003 8:52 AM In reply to

Del,

this is what I did.
    The first screen is the "welcome screen", I press next.
    The second screen the "Setup type screen". Here I can choose only between "custom" and "typical".
    The third screen already shows the destination Folder. When I press next I get the whole Pervasive Client Installation with all available tool. But this is not what I want.

A few days before I have had the network install option. But now not any more.

It seems to be the same behaviour kevin farrell has made.

Clemens
  • 12-09-2003 9:59 AM In reply to

If you select "custom" you should get another panel which allows you to pick components.
  • 12-12-2003 2:42 AM In reply to

Anne,

unfortunately it is the same behaviour if I select the custom setup. I think it has something to do with some of the *.ini-files like ptksetup.ini or setup.ini.

But I can not find any proper documentation. And I am not able any more to run the network install option.
    I know that it allready worked but now it does not any more.

quote:

If you select "custom" you should get another panel which allows you to pick components.

• 12-12-2003 2:42 AM In reply to

Anne,

unfortunately it is the same behaviour if I select the custom setup. I think it has something to do with some of the *.ini-files like ptksetup.ini or setup.ini.

But I can not find any proper documentation. And I am not able any more to run the network install option.
    I know that it allready worked but now it does not any more.

quote:

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)