BTR File Viewer

Last post 02-13-2003 2:39 PM by jschexna. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-12-2003 7:30 PM

BTR File Viewer

I have a number of .btr files that I need to disect. I am new to Pervasive software and I'm not sure how I would go about doing this. I've loaded the Pervasive.SQL 2000i Workgroup Engine and the SDK that goes with it.

All I have is the .btr files, no .ddf, .unf, or .sdf files. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks In Advance,
    Tom
  • 02-12-2003 7:57 PM In reply to

Re: BTR File Viewer

Short answer, No.

You may find some utilities in the Component Zone, but without DDFs, it quite hard.

• 02-13-2003 6:11 AM In reply to

Tom,

The only information stored in a Btrieve file are the indexes. You can view this information by using the butil command from the command line. The command for this is:

BUTIL -STAT

This will give you a list of the indexes in the file.

No column information is stored in the Btrieve file. This information is usually stored in the DDFs, which are used, by the SQL engine and/or the application that uses the Btrieve file.

Del Hager
    Pervasive Software
  • 02-13-2003 11:29 AM In reply to

I saw a utility in the Component Zone that looks like it allows you to make .ddf files from a .btr file. It is called BtSearch32...correct? If I can use this to create a .ddf file would I then be able to dig into these .btr files?
  • 02-13-2003 12:05 PM In reply to

As long as you have correct DDFs yes. Let's also hope the files do not have security "owners names" on them as well.
  • 02-13-2003 1:22 PM In reply to

I just found out that the BTSearch32 utility can build ddf files from existing btr files. Once I have the ddf file how do I go about opening these in PSQL to see what's in them?

Thank again for all the help!!!
  • 02-13-2003 2:39 PM In reply to

Hereis some basic information:

http://www.pervasive.com/library/794/usrguide/using4.html
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)