Connect to a pervasive database via VB.net

Last post 03-23-2007 12:24 PM by ErikBaetens. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2007 7:09 AM

Connect to a pervasive database via VB.net

Hello and thank you for answering my question in advance. How can I connect to a pervasive database using VB.net. What are the commands?

Edited by - richard@rock-unique.com on 03/12/2007 07:10:03 AM
  • 03-12-2007 7:37 AM In reply to

Re: Connect to a pervasive database via VB.net

A couple of questions:
    1. What version of PSQL are you using?
    2. Do you have DDFs for your data?

Short answer to your question:
    You have at least three options for accessing PSQL data:
    1. ODBC
    2. OLEDB
    3. Managed PSQL Provider

All three options require DDFs.
    As far as code, once you answer the questions above and pick your access method, I'm sure some samples are available.
  • 03-23-2007 11:41 AM In reply to

Excuse the newbie question but what exactly is a DDF? Where can I get them? How can I use them?

Thanks
  • 03-23-2007 12:24 PM In reply to

DDF are files, describing the datafiles. The records in the Btrieve (Pervasive) datafiles (with extension mkd, btr,...) are in fact collections of bytes. Without a description of the record, you will not know where each field starts and stops neither know what format it is. e.g. If you have a date-field and you don't know that the field has a date-type, and you read it out as a string, the value you retrieves make no sense at all. To describe a database with tables and the fields in the tables, you create a data dictionary file (DDF). Once you have a DDF file you can access it through ODBC.
    For native access via VB.NET you can use the .NET class generator for btrieve API interface or the btrieve classes for .NET(downloadable from the component zone).
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)