Copy data from Pervasive table to MS Sql table

Last post 04-26-2006 8:37 AM by floydtb@webmail.co.za. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-26-2006 2:41 AM

Copy data from Pervasive table to MS Sql table

I would like to know, is it possible for me to programmatically copy data from a table in Pervasive to a table in MS Sql?

How would the syntax look for something like this?

Thanks a million!
  • 04-26-2006 6:16 AM In reply to

Re: Copy data from Pervasive table to MS Sql table

Depnds on which interface to Pervasive you use. Here'sthe basic flow:
    1. Open both databases.
    2. Read record from source database
    3. insert record into destination database
    4. loop back to step 2 until all records are read and inserted.
    5. close both databases.

If this is more than a one time conversion, you might look at the Integration products.
  • 04-26-2006 6:25 AM In reply to

My app is written in C#.Net and I use the Pervasive drivers for data access. What I want to do is the following : My app creates a table from an existing Pervasive table. This new table is used for updates. Unluckily, this updates takes extremely slow when compared to MS Sql. So I want to take the newly created Pervasive table and "duplicate" that table as a new table in MS Sql and do the updates in the MS Sql table.
  • 04-26-2006 7:19 AM In reply to

That seems like a lot of extra work. Have you contacted Pervasive to see if there's anything that can be done on the Update to make it faster?
    What's the Update statement look like? Is it optimized to use indexes?
  • 04-26-2006 7:36 AM In reply to

I'm using indexes and have tried all the advice given to me to speed up the update. In the end it was concluded that the slow update time is because of the Pervasive Engine. So I thought, why not install MSDE for the clients who doesn't have MS Sql Server, and only Pervasive, and then do the above procedure. I know this is almost like a "hack", but I'm completely frustrated with Pervasive at the moment, and with so little documentation on it, it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle. My only source of good info comes from guys like you, thanks.
  • 04-26-2006 7:43 AM In reply to

Did you actually contact Pervasive? I've always found the support to be helpful. A couple of questions. What exact version of the ADO.NET provider and PSQL are you using?
    Also, how long does this update take?

• 04-26-2006 8:14 AM In reply to

Did'nt contact Pervasive themselves. My boss doesn't want to pay the money for a support call. :( Anyway, the query runs for almost 5 mins on a table that contains 2 million records.
    Otherwise, what about me using the DTS of MS Sql?
  • 04-26-2006 8:24 AM In reply to

You do realize that if this is a defect in the engine, a support ticket would not cost anything.

To really find the solution to this problem, you should open a ticket.

Is the 5 minutes to update all 2 million records? How long does a butil -save on this table take?

• 04-26-2006 8:37 AM In reply to

Will ask my boss to open a support case for the prob. Thanks for all the advice, appreciate it.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)