v11 SP3 + Update 2 - not working?

Last post 05-02-2013 11:57 AM by Fons Achterbergh. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-22-2013 9:32 AM

v11 SP3 + Update 2 - not working?

I'm trying to install the new update 2 to v11 SP3 and have tried it on 3 PCs with the same apparent result. The update installer completes but the "About..." system tray dialog still shows 11.30.051. When the installer ends and I tick the option to view the log file, the log is empty other than the start timestamp. The log file is some random name, e.g. last attempt was MSI78c01.LOG (compared with the PSQL_v11_WGE-x86_Install.log for the v11 SP3 installer).

All 3 attempts were with the workgroup engine and were as follows:

Windows 7 Starter
    PSQL 11.2 (SP2) installed
    SP2 update 1 installed
    11.3 (SP3) installed
    SP3 update 2 installed

Windows Vista Business
    PSQL 2000i uninstalled
    PSQL 11.3 (SP3) trial download installed
    SP3 update 2 installed

WIndows XP SP3
    PSQL 10.2 uninstalled
    PSQL 11.3 (SP3) trial download installed
    SP3 update 2 installed

I accept Windows 7 Starter is not a supported OS so feel free to ignore that one. However it has worked fine up until this new update. Note also that I did not install SP3 update 1 because it did not fix any issues I had and has now been replaced by update 2.

Anybody else having this issue?
  • 04-22-2013 9:57 AM In reply to

Re: v11 SP3 + Update 2 - not working?

First off the system tray dialog will show the version for the system tray application itself. I suspect (pretty confident) the system tray application would not get updated so it probably will show the original install version. To see if the update has been applied you would have to check one of the files that would have been updated by it. Try checking the version of say w3mkde.dll or w3odbcei.dll in C:\Program Files\Pervasive Software\PSQL\bin
  • 04-22-2013 9:59 AM In reply to

What shows in the ProductVersion and VersionLevel keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pervasive Software\Products\Pervasive.SQL Workgroup\InstallInfo

• 04-22-2013 10:17 AM In reply to

If you use any of the numerous help-->about menu options available from the various PSQL utilities/applications, they will show you the file version information for the application/utility you are running and not the product version of PSQL.  The registry location mentioned previously is a better place to look, but even that can be misleading after an update as those registry entries are tied to specific components (which may or may not get changed during an update).

There is one and only one place where you can always be guaranteed to obtain the correct product version for PSQL: The Programs and Features view of the Control Panel. I don't think the default view contains the 'Version' column so you may need to right-click the column headings and select it.

• 04-22-2013 10:25 AM In reply to

lharvey:
    First off the system tray dialog will show the version for the system tray application itself. I suspect (pretty confident) the system tray application would not get updated so it probably will show the original install version. To see if the update has been applied you would have to check one of the files that would have been updated by it. Try checking the version of say w3mkde.dll or w3odbcei.dll in C:\Program Files\Pervasive Software\PSQL\bin

w3odbcei.dll = 11.31.15

Mirtheil:

What shows in the ProductVersion and VersionLevel keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pervasive Software\Products\Pervasive.SQL Workgroup\InstallInfo

ProductVersion = 11.31.06

VersionLevel = 11.31

Thanks guys....looks like it worked. A bit hidden away compared to an "About..." box!

• 04-22-2013 10:31 AM In reply to

Agreed, a change request has previously been submitted asking for the information displayed by the various help-->about menu options to be updated to always include the PSQL product version (in addition to the file version of the PSQL application/utility being used).

• 04-22-2013 10:34 AM In reply to

InstallGuy:

There is one and only one place where you can always be guaranteed to obtain the correct product version for PSQL: The Programs and Features view of the Control Panel. I don't think the default view contains the 'Version' column so you may need to right-click the column headings and select it.

Doh! It's obvious once somebody points it out....the version column is there in Windows 7, but it was "off-screen" due to the small screen size. And in XP it's available by clicking on a support information link.

Apologies for wasting everyone's time....if it's any consolation, it wasn't as much as I've lost today Embarrassed

• 05-02-2013 9:06 AM In reply to

What happened with SP3 update 2? It is no longer available for download on the website. Does this mean there is something wrong with it? 

• 05-02-2013 11:07 AM In reply to

A problem with Continuous Operations backup was found within Update 2, so it was removed very shortly after it was released. It should be re-released soon (as Update 3 to avoid confusion).
  • 05-02-2013 11:57 AM In reply to

Ok, thanks Linda.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)