Pervasive services do not start at startup

Last post 04-27-2012 7:37 AM by hoser68. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2012 3:20 AM

Pervasive services do not start at startup

I have an error in my Windows 7 64 Bit machine running PSQL v11 32 Bit.

The Pervasive services do not start at startup although they are set to start automatically and if I start them manually they starup without error.

Looking in the log file it shows these two entries:

23/04/2012 08:39:49         SRDESTUB        2796     w3sqlmgr.exe    SMITHERS        E     W3SQLMGR.EXE initialization failure. RC = 4083.
    23/04/2012 08:39:49         NTBTRV          2880     ntbtrv.exe      SMITHERS        E     NTBTRV initialization failure. RC = 4083.

I read in another post that this could be to do with pervasive services attempting to startup too early so I set them to restart after 1 min if they failed to start and yet this is still happening - any ideas?

• 04-23-2012 10:19 AM In reply to

Re: Pervasive services do not start at startup

PSQL license checking requires that the Windows Management Instrumentation service (WMI) is running in order to obtain information about the CPU when the PSQL engine starts.  However, on systems with low resources (minimum memory and/or low number of processors) WMI can take awhile to startup.  This scenario was not detected prior to shipping PSQL v11.0 (no service packs) but was corrected in PSQL v11 SP1 and later (SP2 is the latest) by adding a startup dependency to the PSQL services which ensures that the WMI service is started before the PSQL services can be started. 

If you have PSQL v11.0 installed you can try adding the startup dependency to the Pervasive PSQL Transactional Engine and Pervasive PSQL Relational Engine services manually using the Windows Service Control Manager (SCM) application or you can install SP1 (or SP2).

• 04-24-2012 10:30 AM In reply to

Thanks for the reply,

I installed SP1 yesterday and this morning when I started up my machine - the Pervasive services did not start (manually starting them worked as previously mentioned)

I have checked the service dependencies and they are already dependent on the WMI service.

SP2 is still beta isn't it? 

• 04-24-2012 12:06 PM In reply to

If the service startup dependencies are correctly set to wait on the WMI service then your problem is not caused by the scenario I described earlier, so I don't know if upgrading to SP1 or to SP2 will actually resolve your issue (also SP2 is generally available, see http://www.pervasivedb.com/psqlv11/Pages/Default.aspx).

You may have some other system configuration issue unique to your case that is causing the PSQL services to not start after a reboot.  There's some additional information on status code 4083 in the Status Codes and Messages guide (available online at http://docs.pervasive.com/products/database/psqlv11/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=codes/1statcod.1.10.html under 'General Reference') that suggests a method for troubleshooting the startup.

• 04-27-2012 7:37 AM In reply to

In addition to setting WMI dependency, here are some other tips,

From a CMD prompt run:
    sc config "Pervasive.SQL (relational)" depend= "Pervasive.SQL (transactional)"
    sc config "Pervasive.SQL (transactional)" depend= "LanmanWorkstation/Spooler/Browser/NetBT"
      Verify that the Computer Browser service is set to start automatically, otherwise don’t include Browser.  If you have Windows 2008, I recommend changing the Startup Type for the two Pervasive services from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)