How can I connect to BTrieve files using ODBC?

Last post 10-24-2009 9:14 AM by Mirtheil. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-22-2009 9:38 AM

• csdyyr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2009
    • Posts 4

How can I connect to BTrieve files using ODBC?

I am totally new to Pervasive products, I don't know how Pervasive,BTrieve and Scalable SQL interact with each other.

The environments: A Pervasive.SQL 2000 workstation engine is running on a workstation computer where an application can connect to a remote server and access BTrieve files reside on the server.

Here is the question: Now I want to connect to the remote server and to access the BTrieve files through ODBC, so I tried to create a Pervasive ODBC Client Interface DSN, when I clicked the button create... on Pervasive ODBC Client DSN Setup dialog box and then another dialog box showed up which promted me to input user name and password, after I finished and cliked ok button, the box disapeared and returned to the first box, but the server Data Source Name compound box was stilled disabled so I couldn't select an item. thus I failed to create a DSN.

I don't know what's wrong with the setting process, what can I do to create a DSN using ODBC thus I can connect to the remote server and access the BTrieve files in my delphi application?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

• 10-22-2009 10:46 AM In reply to

Re: How can I connect to BTrieve files using ODBC?

If the remote server doesn't have a PSQL engine, you need to create an Engine Interface DSN rather than a Client Interface DSN on the machine where the engine runs.  Once you create the Engine DSN, you should be able to access the data from any ODBC environment. 

• 10-22-2009 10:32 PM In reply to

• csdyyr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2009
    • Posts 4

Mirtheil:

Thank you very much for your help!

I finally succeeded in creating an Engine DSN!

Good luck to you!

• 10-23-2009 8:06 PM In reply to

• csdyyr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2009
    • Posts 4

But in the production environment (Windwos XP workstation on which Pervasive workstation engine runs plus the remote Windows NT Server) , I encountered the BTrieve error 3104 when I clicked test button on the Pervasive ODBC Engine DSN Setup dialog box and the explanation from Pervasive.SQL 2000 Documentation is as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3104: The Pervasive Network Services Layer encountered a permission error.

This status code is relevant to Windows NT only.

Permission to access the target named pipe is denied. If you receive this status code:

?Verify that you have access to the inter process communication mechanism.

?Ensure that your passwords are identical if you have the same user name on two systems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But I still have no idea how to solve this problem,could anyone give me some advice, thanks!

• 10-23-2009 8:33 PM In reply to

Is an engine running on the remote server?  Windows XP is NT based so this error code does apply.  Is the Pervasive engine running as a service on the XP workstation?  If so, does the user the engine is running as have rights to the remote server?  If the service is running as "System", it probably doesn't. 

Just curious, why are you using a workstation/workgroup engine to access files on a remote server?  Using the PSQL server engine would eliminate a number of these issues. 

• 10-23-2009 10:39 PM In reply to

• csdyyr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2009
    • Posts 4

For my poor knowlege on these aspects, I am a little confused.

There is not an engine running on the remote server, I don't know whether the Pervasive engine running as a service or not , but surely I successfully created an engine DSN which connected to a remote Windows 2003 server after I installed Pervasive workstation engine and had the engine running on Windows XP in the test environment.

There is only the workstation engine running on the user's machine, so there is no server engine I can use. but an application on the user's machine can access the remote server.

Anyway,Thanks for your continuous help!

• 10-24-2009 9:14 AM In reply to

csdyyr:
    There is not an engine running on the remote server, I don't know whether the Pervasive engine running as a service or not , but surely I successfully created an engine DSN which connected to a remote Windows 2003 server after I installed Pervasive workstation engine and had the engine running on Windows XP in the test environment.

Something is different on the XP machine in the production environment. You'll need to find out what is different between the two machines. Based on the error you mentioned, you might check for the IPC$ share to make sure it still exists on the client and server. 

csdyyr:
    There is only the workstation engine running on the user's machine, so there is no server engine I can use. but an application on the user's machine can access the remote server.

How many users access this remote server?  If it's more than about three, I would strongly recommend using the server engine installed on the server instead of workstation/workgroup engines accessing the data.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)